Mr. Mann and all,

I’m not sure I have a dog in this hunt, but I am an AMSAT member and
enthusiastic user of the amateur satellites and the ISS amateur station.

Before responding specifically to your most recent post, I would like to ask
anyAMSAT Board of Directors candidate who reads this to weigh in on your ideas
over the next few days because I have not cast my ballot yet, and I’d like to
hear candidates’ thoughts so I can make a more-informed voting decision.

Now … on to my response to your most recent post.

I find myself believing your reasoning and arguments to be self-serving because
last October, I heard Richard Garriott’s side of a conversation with you during
his stay on the ISS, when it was apparent that you used precious time available
for other amateurs to make contact with Richard to ask whether you could
transmit SSTV images to the ISS.

Nowhere in the multiple posts you have made over the past week have you
addressed the impact of your SSTV proposal(s) on the existing U/V voice
repeater and/or the VHF packet station on the ISS. I presume that, since you
propose (in this post I’m responding to) only replacing/upgrading hardware
necessary to make the existing SSTV system operational, that its time on the
air will mean no packet station and no opportunity for voice contacts, either
with the crew or with other amateurs via the repeater. We all have our
interests and preferences. Mine, as it relates to the use of the amateur radio
gear aboard the ISS, is two-way communication with other amateurs – including
ISS crew members and private citizens who are licensed amateurs and who visit
the ISS. As is the case with SSTV transmissions, those who choose to do so can
use ground stations as you described to monitor voice communications, and (as
you pointed out with SSTV) free software is
 available to anyone for use in setting up a sound-card-based TNC to copy and
decode packet radio from the ISS. From here, as a result, you seem to be
advocating a trade-off in operational modes with an eye toward increasing SSTV
operation using the existing gear. So unless I’m missing something, your recent
post argues only for a mode change, not an increase in operating opportunities.

Further, if that is, indeed, the case, then the biggest bang for the buck – it
seems to me, at least – would be to not spend any money and encourage ARISS
members to work with the appropriate officials in the various space agencies to
take advantage of remaining voice and packet opportunities. Of course, that
won’t bring SSTV back to the ISS station. But it also won’t cost a dime moving
forward. Free makes for the biggest bang (i.e., no bucks involved).

Like you, I would like to see a new satellite with SSTV, FM-crossband-repeater
and V/U SSB transponders placed into a higher orbit. More than a few times,
since hearing about China’s plans for the XW-1 satellite, I have found myself
thinking how cool it would be for a satellite with its capabilities to be
placed in an AO-7-like (or even slightly higher) orbit. In that regard, I don’t
disagree with arguments that suggest finding some way to make whatever form
SuitSat-2 ultimately takes stay in orbit and remain active as long as possible.

BUT (there’s always a but… hihi) I don’t see the wisdom in scrapping plans to
place another  satellite with multiple-mode capabilities in operation –
regardless of the duration – just to get the ISS station running SSTV again –
especially when the station is fully capable of providing two-way voice and
packet contacts in its current form.

In a previous post, you provided other options for ARISS projects, in addition
to repair of the gear necessary to operate SSTV with the current station.  Two
days ago, the following statements appeared in the same post from you:

“The longest it required from Theory to Switch-on from Mir for any project was
15 months.
“With ISS it does take longer.  The average time is (ouch) 4-7 years.
“The ISS laptop project required 9 years.
“The SpaceCam1 project, from Beta software demo to switch on was 7 years.”

And

“We have 5-6 years left of ISS.  We need to make the best of what little time
we have left.”

Unless I’m missing something, and if the numbers you state in each section of
your Aug. 18 post are accurate, it appears to me as though there’s no guarantee
there will be enough time to achieve anything you advocate because, as I
understand it from your posts, these proposals would pretty much start from
scratch in moving through the system from proposal to delivery to the ISS and
activation.

I am a relative newcomer to “space radio,” having made my first-ever satellite
contact on June 28, 2008. That being said, I believe that an AMSAT decision to
abandon SuitSat-2 so that it could focus on getting the necessary hardware to
the ISS to add SSTV to the currently operating station would be a distinct
disservice to the AMSAT membership and the amateur radio community.

Before closing, I would like to express my personal gratitude to everyone
associated with ARISS for providing the opportunities it does. I discovered all
of our other currently operational satellites only because I learned it was
possible to make two-way contacts with the crew aboard the ISS. I had been
totally off the air and away from amateur radio from early 1992 until May 2007.
It was another year before I learned that ARISS existed, and I set out with the
goal of working an astronaut on the ISS with a handheld station. I did that
with Mike Fincke several months ago, after I was fortunate enough to have a
contact with Richard on his last day aboard the ISS. I did not use my handheld
station for that contact because I didn't think 5 watts would break the
pileup … hihi. However, early in the morning of the day I worked Richard, I
stood in my front yard and pointed my Elk antenna at the then-visible ISS and
listened to Richard work two amateurs I
 have developed friendships with over the past 14 months – N8MH and WB2OQQ. I
wouldn’t trade that for any SSTV transmission.

73 to all,

Tim – N3TL
Athens, Ga.– EM84ha