Bill.

The question is cost vrs value.

First off there is almost nothing "free" on the spacestation.  The launch might
be, but the devil is in the integration details and cost.  I dont know what
those were for Suitsat1 nor do I know what they are for Suitsat 2 (or sat
without the suit)...but the instant the "astronauts" get involved in any
substantive manner the cost go up very very quickly.

Then the next question is "is it worth" whatever the cost are?  That is a value
judgment and in my view has to be weighed with a lot of factors particularly
when funds are limited.

Was Oscar 40 worth it?  A lot was bet on that satellite, had it worked (or if
it was still working) then the value might have approached the cost...as it was
well it is hard to argue that the cost put into it was worth what was gotten
out of it.  Suitsat 1 was a simple satellite that didnt work, the answer is to
try a more complicated one?

I am quite certain that the "individual" cost of Suitsat 1 and Suitsat 2 are
less then the cost of "doing another AO-7 but things add up and the cost of two
or three or four of these projects might eventually add up to an AO-7 or
helping 3E get off the ground.

The Russians have a saying "If you (Urinate...they use a different word) into
your boot then for a bit you are warmer, and then you are colder and wonder why
you did it" (OK I cleaned it up).

Put another way?  Are you happy with the current state of the satellite
constellation?

Robert WB5MZO