> Don’t Fly Suit-Sat to the
> International Space Station

Nothing in amateur radio has ever been accomplished by the naysayers and
armchair lawyers and wannabee's and dreamers that spend their time trying to
tear down and stop what others are trying to accomplish.  Amateur radio and ANY
volunteer organization simply doesn't work that way.  The only thing that
accomplishes anything are individuals that are individually motivated and work
on things to their own motivation and make forward progress.

No amount of criciicm, or alternates, or complaining every accomplishes
anything forward.  The only effective thing it accomplishes often is the
"dooers" just give up in frustration at all the ankle biters, and move on to
other things.

Paul Rinaldo, W4RI in leading the AMRAD group in the development of AX.25 in
the USA said it simply... Either help with those that are making progress, or
GET OUT OF THE WAY!

He viewed his job as president to make sure all the bright minds and
able-bodied workers had everything they needed to make progress and also he
worked to fight off the naysayers, and kibitzers and keep them from
discouraging and holding things back or trying to redirect the effort to naught.

When all the work is being done by VOLUNTEERS who are self motivated, there is
usually no amount of kibitzing or re-directing or complaining that will make
ANY FORWARD progress.  The only possible outcome is that those DOERS just quit
out of frustration.

I say again, either build it yourself, or give support to those that do, or
just shut up and get out of the way.  No volunteer is motivated by all the
whining and "why dont you do it my way" kind of kibitzing.  If you want it done
another way, then start from scratch and do it yourself your way, and we wish
you every success.  ANY ACCOMPLISHMENT in Amateur Radio (an all volunter
service) should be praised.

Any ideas on how to do it differently should only serve as a self motivator to
get out and do it that way yourself.  Then others should praise you for your
accomplishment.  But NEVER do it at the EXPENSE OF OTHERS!

I have never seen such a distracting, self-serving and destructive proposal as
this...

> We need your help to convince NASA,
> ESA and RSA to send more Long term
> educational projects to ISS and to
> not send short term disposable Toss-
> Satellites projects such as the
> Suit-Sat-2 to ISS.

Now let me see.  It shouldnt be hard at all to "convince" any bureaucrat who is
working 12 hour days and has all the stress of the space business to NOT fly
something!  He will be more than happy to NOT fly something, just so he has one
less thing to worry about.  But it is about 100 times harder to "convince" that
same bureaucrat to then re-direct hi energies to some new wannabee idea...

What was accomplished?  Simply nonthing, but the waste of a large number of
AMSAT Volunteers efforts over the last year to feed the ego of a few...

> In this document I will go over several
> reasons why Suit-Sat-2 is the wrong
> project for the ISS...

Nothing that is making progress is the wrong project, just because it might,
be, or shoulda, or coulda been done diffrently with 20/20 hindsight.

> This is an open letter to representatives
> of the organizations and technical communities,
> including: NASA, European Space Agency,
> Russian Space Agency, AMSAT, ARISS, ARRL,
> Amateur Radio community and the Short Wave
> Listener community.

And is a flagrant display of a loose cannon on deck dstroying the work, effort
and progress of dedicated volunteers.

> The Orbit of the ISS is approximately
> 250 miles (350 kilometers)... and
> Suit-Sat-2... will burn up in 6-12 months.

Yes, but you take what is avaialble.  The Naval Academy has taken such low
orbits for 5 of its 6 satellites and the amateur radio community has BENEFITTED
from these short missions...

> Suit-Sat-2 needs to be in a high orbit
> such as the common 700-800 km orbit,

Duh... of course, every ham satellite would love to be in that orbit, but it is
not WISHES that get one to space, it is LAUNCH OPPORTUNITIES...  and the ISS
has NONE, zip-squat-sero launches there!  And  you are talking to the ISS team!
 An absolute waste of time, other than your negativism that only destroys our
existing opportunities to 350 km!

> Reason #4:  Suit-Sat-2 needs a new container:

Well, duh... when you lose the spacesuit, then yes, you have to build a new
enclosure...

> The Ariss Hardware team now needs to ...
> redesign.... This will not be a simple task.

So GET OUT OF THE WAY!

> Reason #5: Launch Date January 2010:

So GET OUT OF THE WAY!  FOr those not in the space business that think you just
walk in with a payload and hand it over,   That is an extemely hard deadline to
meet.

> We need more "Longer" term projects on
> ISS that reach a greater audience.

Yes, and I need more money, more time, more radios, a new car, and a nice new
house... but I dont see ANYTHING in this proposal that accomplishes ANYTHING
towards a viable project...

> Short term projects such as ... Suit-Sat-2
> are a waist of a very valuable ISS resource.

Ah, so your attempt at blocking progress on Suitsat with dreams is somehow
going to magically get you a launch of some imginary new pet project into a
dream orbit?

> Let’s go for the long term Plan.
> I believe that the Suit-Sat-2 project
> can be boxed up and made viable for
> launches in the 2013 time frame.

I have a better idea.  Let the Suitsat volunteers proceed with 100% of  your
full support and then start working on your own dream-box for the 2013 time
frame!  Remember, its WHO does the work determines WHAT gets built.  Not a
bunch of poison emails...

> The AMSAT Corporation and ARISS should
> start looking for higher altitude unmanned
> rockets in that time frame to place
> Suit-Sat-2 in a more functional orbit.

Duh!  I cant blieve such a stupid and naive statement.  What on earth do you
think the "AMSAT" and ARISS" guys do, but work and dig, and follow every
possible hint of a launch opportunity.  They have been doing that for 20 years!
 Such opportunities are extemely rare, and you bet that if any are or will come
available, then volunteers will step forward to move out...  just GET OUT OF
THE WAY...

> Long Term Project Suggestions:

We dont need suggestions, we need LAUNCHES.

Don't derail anything in progress.  If you have better ideeas, then start
working on them.  Just get out of the way of those that are currently working
on their own labors of love (that benefit us all)...

Bob, Wb4APR