Hi Miles,

Thank you for this response - especially for the persoective it provides. As I
mentioned in my last post, I was off the air and totally away from amateur
radio for more than 15 years. As a result, I had no knowledge of  how
operations from Mir occurred. I appreciate having this information because it
helps me to understand how things have progressed in terms of amateur
communications with various manned orbiting stations.

Because I haven't been active throughout the entire time frame, I can only draw
on my personal experiences over the past 14 months when it comes to overall
interest in communications with the ISS. I am having a tough time accepting the
veracity of your statement that interest in communication with and through the
ISS has diminished. I have made 116 voice contacts with and through the ISS
since Richard's visit to the station last October. I and others have commented
among ourselves at the significant number of calls we have heard only through
the ISS voice repeater. I believe interest remains strong, and dare say that
oportunities for two-way contacts are the reason.

We are on different sides of the SSTV fence; and, of course, neither of us will
change the other's mind about the relative merits of one mode over the other
when there is only one radio station aboard the ISS for use in amateur
communications. I cannot personally support the plans you propose because I do
not believe they represent the most effective use of the communications gear
available on the ISS. The kind of exchanges you described between the ISS and a
ground station - both set up for SSTV - inevitably will decrease opportunities
for two-way contacts because of the time each SSTV transmission consumes. Given
its lower orbit and resulting smaller footprint, ISS passes are inherently the
shortest-duration passes of all the amateur satellites we have available. SSTV
represents the longest-duration mode of operation to and from the ISS in terms
of completing a two-way contact - and a one-way transmission, as far as that
goes. In that regard, it is the
 most inefficient mode available for use. I can't support proposals that
advocate using what precious time is available for amateur radio communication
via the ISS to enable a mode that inarguably decreases the opportunity for
contacts, either among amateur ground stations (via the repeater) or among
ground stations and the crews.

I will continue to participate in ARISS activities regardless of their form. I
would prefer that form not include significant SSTV activity for reasons I've
stated here and in my earlier email.

73 to all,

Tim - N3TL