At a SmallSat conference I attended on behalf of AMSAT this summer, I was
amused at the casual assumption by a researcher that 50, Five Oh, cubesats
could be launched as part of an upper atmosphere project using ham
frequencies for the downlinks.  (They would have a lifetime of only 3-4
months.)  Jan King, W3GEY/VK4GEY, who does coordination of satellite
frequencies, gently but firmly brought them down to earth a bit.

On the one hand, we get new hams with interests in space communications from
these projects, but on the other we need to prevent the de facto
appropriation of needed frequencies.  A fine line to walk.

Alan
WA4SCA