--- On Fri, 25/9/09, Bill Ress <b...@hsmicrowave.com> wrote:
> While it's likely a real stretch for a 1U CubeSat, in a 3U
> CubeSat with up to 2U Cubes worth dedicated to ion
> propulsion, we might have something practical. While many I
> talk with say it isn't practical, I have no doubt it will
> happen in the not too distant future. I wonder who will take
> the lead and be first?

Hi Bill,

You're right, the potential is there for a 3U CubeSat that can achieve an
apogee > 1400 km.

We'd need 1U of that to house the linear transponder but as you say the rest
could be used for the propulsion system.

As yet, as far as I'm aware, no-one has actually demonstrated a working
propulsion mechanism that can fit in 2U but I'm convinced this is possible.

The launch costs for a 3U CubeSat into 700 km LEO are well within the reach of
the Amateur community, our challenge is to develop a means of raising the
apogee.

73 Trevor M5AKA