Hi Alan,

Sorry for the long reply.  Between other e-mails, work and the RTTY contest
over the weekend, I've been trying to find time.  Your e-mail has raised
some questions I had to think about or gather additional information.

As for the Arrow loosing its speckles and plastic tips.  My belief is though
the antenna is basically designed to be used as a portable setup, a
permanent setup can be configured using the same antenna.  However, being
outside in certain climates, aluminum can become rather oxidized and very
quickly too.  Here in the desert, I've yet to see this occur on a severe
case, like I used to see back in PA.  I've seen aluminum poles in place for
4 years and when the sun hits it, there is a huge shine.  The tips of the
antenna are probably not UV hardened.  Again, it was probably designed with
portability in mind and not a base station setup where it would remain
outside 24/7.

The observations I've been making with the Comet diplexer and the Arrow
diplexer have been made with multiple passes at different elevations,
ranges, etc.  Strictly comparing previous passes, at the same elevations, to
current ones with taking into consideration how the downlink compares.

You made the statement that you "view all anecdotal comparisons of before
and after results with some caution."  Which should be true in all cases not
matter what the subject is.  However, when you also questioned about the
improvement of fades during a pass due to a diplexer change then asked "It
is so, please tell me the science behind this."  I must say there isn't any
science behind it because anecdotal evidence is obtained through reports or
observations of unscientific observers.  Again, this is basic gathering of
observations based on changing one device, the diplexer.

As for AO-27 turning off near the 49th parallel, I don't believe there is
any anti-Canadian sentiment for this. :)  Think about it this way, what if
you lived near the 49th parallel in the southern hemisphere?  Talk about
anti-sentiment. :)  If I recall correctly, the timer is set to turn on
around the pass of the 28th parallel and off 7 minutes later, which takes it
to near the 49th parallel.  I would like to see AO-27 opened for 8 to 9
minutes if it could be spared.  I've had some really nice passes get cut to
digital with so much more room to LOS.  So I guess maybe we should ask if it
is possible to extend the timer by 1 or 1.5 minutes, if the bird can spare
it.

73,

Jeff  WB3JFS