Saw all the Flex goodies at the DX Convention here in Visalia today.  Dunno, I
still like to twist knobs, but it is quite a system they have...

John W6ZKH

________________________________
From: Michael Tondee <mat...@netcommander.com>
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Sent: Fri, April 16, 2010 6:25:45 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: Radios for satellite operations

The Kenwood TS-2000 and 2000X are still out there. They have an annoying
birdie right smack dab on the downlink  of SO-50 and AO-27 but both of
those are FM sats. You can work around the birdie with  a preamp but the
pass time is shortened a bit because you are waiting for the receive
frequency to get  a little bit away from the birdie so you can hear. I
don't know of any issues with SSB/CW sats though.
  Icom is coming out with a new radio that has HF plus sat capapbility
but for the price I've heard you could just about buy a Flex 5000A and
add the soon upcoming V/U module for not much more.
  The Flex 5000A is cutting edge technology but you have to get over
most hams confounded affinity for knobs. I just got my 5000A today. I
chose it over replacing the TS-2000X I used to have with another. It
will be awhile before I can afford to add the V/U module but I'm willing
to wait because IMHO the Flex is head and shoulders above any other
radio on the market today.
73,
Michael, W4HIJ