Hi Ed,
  I think the K3 is a great radio. My uncle has one and loves it. Sounds
like you have made an excellent choice for your situation. I can fully
understand not wanting to lug around a PC ( even a laptop) for portable
work.
  The only comparison you make that puzzles me is cost. I haven't added
up the exact prices so I could be a little off but it seems to me that
the equipment you mention is going to come out about the same price wise
as the Flex 5K with the V/U module added.
  Of course you would have to add in the cost of the PC but in my home
station application I already have that here. As you say though, "each
to his own choice" and I hope you enjoy your new setup. Sounds like a
nice one.
I agree with the comment about spending so much on ham radio. I intend
for my 5k to last me the rest of my hamming days and so does my wife!!
HI HI :-)
73,
Michael, W4HIJ