On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 6:05 AM, Thomas Frey <th.f...@vtxmail.ch> wrote:

>>> Hi Pop, VU2POP
>>>
>>> I am very happy to know that AMSAT India plan to launch a new
>>> satellite with 2 linear transponders in a higher orbit covering  a
>>> larger foot print in comparison of the actual VO-52
>>>
>>> VO-52 continually operating with its linear transponders during all
>>> available orbits is a reliable satellite for the amateur radio satellite
>>> communications and  as well for educational purposes.
>>>
>>> Congratulations to Amsat India and to ISRO
>>>
>>> 73" de
>>>
>>> i8CVS Domenico
>>>

>> With a little more "push" is it possible to have just a slightly elliptical
>> orbit? I don't know what brand of batteries they put in VO-52
>> but they probably put a small pink rabbit in it as they don't seems to
>> bother too much with their power budget...
>>
>> What's is funny is the commenting on the perf board model AMSAT-India was
>> showing couple of years before the launch of VO-52, some where
>> commenting on the jumper wire perf board modelling as if it was not
>> something who will never be able to work...
>>
>> AMSAT-INDIA just doing an excellent and professional job on VO-52 they even
>> put 2 transponder in the same satellite "too strong never
>> broke". I'm convince their new orbit will cover quite some area on earth..
>>

>> "-"
>>

>> Luc Leblanc VE2DWE
>> Skype VE2DWE
>> www.qsl.net/ve2dwe
>> DSTAR urcall VE2DWE
>> WAC BASIC CW PHONE SATELLITE
>>

> If you carefully read, AMSAT-India has 2 Linear-Transponders ready
> and not a satellite. As you knows, the satellite VO-52 itself was built
> and contributed by ISRO to AMSAT-India.
>
> If you want a satellite in HEO then support Phase-3E from AMSAT-DL.
>
> --
>
> Best Regards, 73
>     Thomas Frey, HB9SKA

I might have missed something, Thomas, but I believe Luc recommended a
'slightly elliptical orbit', not necessarily a HEO one. Do these need
to be the same thing? An elliptical MEO would allow for periods of
more challenging operation with better opportunities for DX
alternating with periods of lower pass loss, but smaller footprint.
This might well be something that AMSAT-India could come to ISRO to
ask for.

Of course, none of this takes away from the excellent work of AMSAT-DL
on P3E, which we all eagerly support.

73, Bruce
VE9QRP

--