> So, I'll pose my question along the same premise:
> Is there a 'ebay'/used/or ?? other unit that will
> give us a grid position that one can put on a qsl
> card?

The Kenwood D7 APRS HT and D700 and D710 mobiles display
gridsquare directly (assuming a GPS is plugged into it.  The new
D72 coming out in the next month or so has the GPS built in,
making for a trivial package to carry.

I had assumed that the Yaesu VX-8R, DR, and GR APRS HT's also
read out directly the grid square?  But your next sentence seems
to imply otherwise..  Hummh...