I was on AO-40 from its launch, initially running mode US, then mode
LS (I bought one of the few DEMI 1268/144 Tx converters that were
made).  I made several contacts after I got my s-band downlink
working.  Initially, I was using too small an antenna and did not
have a decent preamp.  Once I graduated to the 85cm (33-inch) offsst
feed dish and added a MKU-232 preamp, I was able to hear anyone.  I
spent a long time collecting telemetry and could do so out to a
squint angle of 49-degrees.

It really is a shame that there was no workaround for the battery
issue or even run on solar panels like AO7.  But this was before AO7
reawakened to provide that insight.  I lived and waited long years
for AO-40 and unfortunately wasted time I could have operated on AO-13.

Now I have all the stuff needed to work a Heo and hardly anywhere to
use it (I bought one of the early FT-847 just for AO-40).  I would
say a lot of the operators of the Heo years have gone away from
satellite activity (some remain lurking on Amsat-bb wishing upon a
star ...or a hope and a prayer).

I will return, if Murphy will leave me alone long enough!  But I
mainly operate Oscar-Zero now days.

73, ED - KL7UW

At 11:04 AM 2/3/2011, Floyd Rodgers wrote:
>Did anyone manage to bag any contacts off A040 before it's sad event?

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45
BP40IQ   500 KHz - 10-GHz   www.kl7uw.com
EME: 144-1.4kw*, 432-100w*, 1296-testing*, 3400-winter?
DUBUS Magazine USA Rep dubus...@hotmail.com