From:  g0...@aol.com
> Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 15:45:36 -0500
> To:  clintbradf...@mac.com; amsat-bb@amsat.org
> Subject: [amsat-bb] Re:  ARISSat-1 - Dumb Question

> Hmm.  This is a bit of a brain teaser...
>
>  So if the satellite is deployed towards the rear of the ISS, it's
velocity
> will be slightly lower.
> So does that mean it will  go to a lower orbit- (Same as firing retros
>  reenter)?
>
> If so, then I believe as the orbit altitude  is reduced, the apparent
> velocity increases.....(??) which will  cause ARISsat-1 to 'move ahead'
of the
> ISS over a few  hours
>
> But didn't we say the velocity would be less than  the ISS due to the
method
>  of deploying it against the velocity  vector ?
>
> Time for me to have a Tuna sandwich. We all  know it's probably full of
> Dolphin...and they are really  clever.
>
> David G0MRF

Interesting puzzler, eh?  From what I have read in the past,  I think this
their logic.

What they are trying to do is to separate the  orbits of the ISS and
ARISSat as quickly as possible, to avoid the potential  for a collision.
Consider
the options:

1.  Throw it sideways  to the ISS orbit.  The result is that twice per
orbit the two  spacecraft's paths will cross, side to side.  Bad idea.

2.   Throw it ahead of the ISS (faster orbit speed).  This will raise the
orbit, slightly, and also make it a bit elliptical (up and down).  The
higher orbit makes the satellite go behind the ISS, but the elliptical shape
also means that the orbits will cross every orbit (but out of phase, so they
won't be at the same place when they do).  But, then as the ARISSat orbit
decays, they will get closer and closer, potentially getting back to the same
 place.  Not good, either.

3.  Throw it behind the ISS (slower  orbit).  As you note, this will lower
the orbit (and make it a bit  elliptical), and initially the apogee of the
orbit will intersect that of the  ISS.  Being in a lower orbit, ARISSat will
move ahead of the ISS, and  over time, as the ARISSat orbit decays, the two
will diverge even  farther.  So, this is the safest.

At least, I think that's the  logic.  If not, pass me some of that tuna...

Greg   KO6TH