First off,  The originator asks a very open-ended question.  His only
use of PVC was for a vertical antenna.  So what is his intended use
for a PVC mast?  Except for very small wind-area antenna, it will not
likely hold up.  Why would one use inferior materials in place of
easily obtained steel (best) or aluminum (satisfactory)?

Does he need an insulated mast?  Does he plan an antenna that has to
be isolated from nearby metal because...?  (it would affect the pattern?)

Thick-wall fiberglass is considerably stronger than PVC and has all
the characteristics.  But neither will have the strength of
steel.  Adding wood inserted inside helps (somewhat).  I made a
18-turn 432 helical beam with 1-1/4-inch wooden closet pole and it
lasted two winters before snow-load broke it.  I was too cheap for
metal or fiberglass.  Wood must be carefully selected for antenna
material and probably not match using metal for strength/weight ratio.

Some antennas have used PVC tubing for part of the structure.

Perhaps a better answer would come with more details of what is to be
supported by the PVC mast.

And re: negative nancy - she may have extensive experience to speak
from. ;-)  I thought that was what the query was about - experiences
by others using PVC.  Not everyone will have positive experiences with PVC.

73, Ed - KL7UW

At 10:31 AM 2/24/2011, Dave Webb KB1PVH wrote:
>It would be great if all the Negative Nancys would offer a positive solution
>instead of just shooting it down that way we can all benefit.
>
>Dave - KB1PVH
>
>Sent from my Verizon Wireless DROID X
>On Feb 24, 2011 2:22 PM, "Matt Patterson" <mattp...@1starnet.com> wrote:
> > I can't even believe that some people recommend doing this!
> >

> > Matt
> > W5LL
> >

> > On 2/24/2011 11:21 AM, Ng, Peter wrote:
> >> I'm looking to put up a mast and am curious, why PVC? Is it better than
>steel?
> >>
> >> 73's Peter VE7NGP

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45
BP40IQ   500 KHz - 10-GHz   www.kl7uw.com
EME: 144-1.4kw*, 432-100w, 1296-testing*, 3400-winter?
DUBUS Magazine USA Rep dubus...@hotmail.com