Up here ten foot of gray electrical 1-1/2-inch PVC runs about $9.95
and ten foot of 1-1/4 ID schedule-40 aluminum about $15.  When I am
going to mount several hundreds of dollars of antennas on a mast am I
going to risk losing them by saving $5?

My nearly $3K 2m eme array (four antennas+H-frame+144-foot of coax+
elevation bracket) are supported by 3-1/2 feet of 2-inch sched-80
steel pipe!  The 16 sq-foot wind area array has withstood >65mph
winds sustained over a 30-hour period that stripped the ring gear on
the Ham-III rotator (azimuth drive).  I now use Ham-IV with steel
ring gears.  That array and mast have been up 11-years.  You would
not do that with PVC.

The H-frame has combined aluminum and fiberglass on the vertical
masts which support the 21-foot long 2m x-yagis.  PVC would not be
suitable even with wood.  The fiberglass has wooden dowels inserted
in the ends to prevent crushing the fiberglass with antenna clamps. I
added short split lengthwise aluminum tubing to sheath the fiberglass
at the clamp locations.

You probably are not looking at a project this big but steel and
aluminum are not that expensive.  So is there another reason to want PVC?

Ed

At 11:32 AM 2/24/2011, Matt Patterson wrote:
>Hmmm...  how about not being cheap and buy a steel or aluminum mast?
>That's my solution....
>

>Matt
>W5LL
>

>On 2/24/2011 1:31 PM, Dave Webb KB1PVH wrote:
> > It would be great if all the Negative Nancys would offer a
> positive solution
> > instead of just shooting it down that way we can all benefit.
> >
> > Dave - KB1PVH
> >
> > Sent from my Verizon Wireless DROID X
> > On Feb 24, 2011 2:22 PM, "Matt Patterson"<mattp...@1starnet.com>  wrote:
> >
> >> I can't even believe that some people recommend doing this!
> >>

> >> Matt
> >> W5LL

> > steel?

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45
BP40IQ   500 KHz - 10-GHz   www.kl7uw.com
EME: 144-1.4kw*, 432-100w, 1296-testing*, 3400-winter?
DUBUS Magazine USA Rep dubus...@hotmail.com