Then, what's the PVC for?

I went with a closet pole (sans PVC) for my horizontal support, and it's still
going fine after something like 10 years up on the roof.  Around here (Northern
California Sierra foothills), PVC degrades very quickly in the Sun, so it's
more of a liability than anything else.  It's also pretty heavy for what
weather proofing or whatever else you think you're getting.  You'd be better
off filling the extra diameter with more wood.

The vertical support is steel, held in a wooden tripod.

Greg  KO6TH