Ted,
How about a 3rd school of thought?  If you have a clear view of the horizon, I
recommend you point the antenna(s) directly at the antenna (0 degrees
elevation).  That is the point in a satellite's path across the sky where you
have the greatest range (distance between you and the satellite) and the
bi-directional greatest path loss (not counting any ground gain you will
experience if you have horizontal or CP antennas).  As the satellite rises in
elevation, range and path loss both decrease and you need less gain to overcome
noise:  a moderate-beamwidth antenna with a gain of 8-10 dBi will match this
nicely.  A LEO satellite spends the majority of it's visible time below 30
degrees and the pass time above 60 degrees is almost negligible.

If you can't hear the satellite at the horizon with this setup, then you can
raise the antenna's angle and listen when the satellite is closer (higher
elevation), but you will greatly reduce the available time/footprint and your
number of contacts.

73,
Jerry, K5OE