On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 12:34:48 -0700 (PDT), Glen Zook wrote:

>That is why geographical names work better when working DX.  For stateside
>use, at least in my opinion, the ICAO phonetics are definitely recommended.

I've had this happen to me enough to be more than just coincidence. Repeating
my callsign over and over to a DX station using ICAO phonetics, and the DX
just.isn't.getting.it. Then I switch to "Norway United Zero Canada", it's
almost always copied correctly on the next repeat. Works great when calling DX
also.

Being "professional" is getting the communication across sucessfully by
shifting to what works best in a given situation, rather than sticking with
what doesn't work (even if it's "official") and wasting everyone's time.

73

-Jim
NU0C

--

 - A deep understanding of reality is exactly the same thing as laziness.