Hi!

> Again there is nothing wrong with the standard
>
> I for one will never use your "de facto" standard when there is already one
> that has been in use for years and years and years.

What many are saying, and I agree with in a couple of situations,
is that sometimes the standard ICAO/NATO phonetic alphabet
just doesn't work well for a particular letter like K.  On FM, I use
Kilo, but go to Kilowatt in SSB (on satellites and HF).  For some
Spanish-speakers, I will go with a phonetic alphabet that is used
many who speak that language to complete QSOs, along with
speaking in Spanish (completely legal, provided my station ID is
in English at the end of the QSO).

It is nice that this discussion has centered on the choice of words
for the phonetic alphabet, instead of following past discussions here
on the -BB where some advocated not using any phonetics.  The
message in K8YSE's e-mail is a good one, reinforced when I get
the occasional e-mail from a Spanish-speaking satellite ham along
with a WAV or MP3 file asking me to decipher the callsign (and
sometimes grid) in the recording.  I know I'm not the only one that
gets these sorts of requests from those hams.  Lately, it all centers
on the stateside hams not using phonetics, and the Spanish-
speaking hams not knowing the English "A, B, C, ... " alphabet.

If you hear those hams on the passes, go ahead and try to work them.
They are looking to put more stations, states/provinces, grids, etc. in
their logs as anyone else.  Please keep in mind that English isn't their
first language, and help them with the standard phonetics so they can
log you correctly.

73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/