One of the ways to look at the voice codec is as a "capacitor", "amplifier" or
some other component of you circuit design.  Sure, it's single source, but if
you are careful about how you put it in, you can provide a switched circuit,
daughter board or some other path to alternative codecs.  It just depends on
what your real desire is, and how complicated you want to make your system.
I.e; if you are worried about designing a system with a single source codec,
don't design it that way.

Sure we have open systems, but we also have single source systems, like
windows.
  Many many people are content with saying, if it doesn't run on windows, I'm
not interested in it because that's all they've ever used.  Or, even worse, I'm
not supporting anything but windows because I don't know how to do that on
Linux, or Mac or B-OS or...  Look at what is happening with Apple.  Every
quarter they are reporting explosive growth in Mac sales (2x from same period a
year ago for this past quarter) and other items.  That is completely single
source stuff, but you can run windows or linux on a mac.  People are finding
value in the package they see and are switching horses so to speak.

Everywhere in life we get to make choices, measure the good vs bad with our own
skills and experiences etc. In the end, our choices and experiences are
controlled if not limited by any decision we make.

Don't think about this from the single vendor perspective.  Think about this
from the "what can I do with this technology" perspective that is that heart of
HAM radio experimentation.

Clearly ICOM is now understanding that if you can't access a repeater with
digital data services, then paying 2x the cost of an analog rig of the same
caliber just doesn't make sense to most people.  Also, as this discussion has
illustrated, some of us have no interest in the whole of digital coded data and
voice.

Gregg Wonderly