My pet hate is AX.25 1200bps FM which every satellite seems to use, it uses too
much bandwidth, too much power and has no forward error correction.

BPSK systems such as that to be used on ARISSat-1 can provide 1000 bps with
error correction in less than 1/10th the bandwidth.

But the reason AX.25 1200bps FM is still used for new satellites is because
there's so much infrastructure, TNC's, PC software etc, already inplace, it's
the easy option.

Currently there is no single standard for sending data using BPSK not even the
data rate is standardized. I believe the BPSK telemetry on FOX will use a
different standard to ARISSat. FUNcube and UKube-1 will also use different
versions running 1200bps and 9600bps respectively.

Personally I think 9600bps BPSK will be the one to go for in the long term but
none of these BPSK systems are flying yet. So until they are and are proven to
work in space I think AX.25 1200 FM will continue to be used.

Getting new equipment on the ISS has an incrediably long lead time and of
course relies on someones goodwill to pay some $5,000 a kilo freight charges,
so realistically I can't see any significant changes to the ISS equipment for
sometime to come.

73 Trevor M5AKA