Am 2011-08-10 00:54, schrieb Phil Karn:
> It's been suggested that I modify my ARISSat-1 BPSK-1000 telemetry
> demodulator/decoder to accept wideband quadrature (I & Q) recordings
> like those produced by most of the software defined radios out there.
>
> This is fundamentally not that hard, but first I need some information.
>
> How many people could actually use this?

I guess all people that use SDRs in the style of FCD, like SDR Widget,
or generally all DDC receivers that work with soundcard interfaces.

> What is the format of the
> recorded files? Is there a standard, or does each make of SDR produce
> its own?

Often the I and Q channel are recorded via Left and Right of a sound
interface, either built-in in the computer or via USB. FCD for example
is not more than a very powerful DDC chain, an USB audio device with
96kHz bandwidth and a USB HID interface to control all the settings,
like filters and gains. So for a recording you'd probaly end up in
whatever your recoding program produces, likely WAV, but any format with
16bit and 2 channels would do.

For decoding please be aware that I/Q via sound interfaces has a weak
spot at the centre frequency. The interfaces all have a high pass
characteristic below like 30Hz, which means the resulting spectrum has a
notch in the middle. You usually would not like to exactly tune the
center frequency to the frequency of your interest, but a little below
or above. You can see that notch for example at

http://www.oz9aec.net/index.php/funcube-dongle/423-funcube-dongle-on-the-air-tests-at-oz7sat
With all oscillators being not perfect this can probably be ignored, as
you wouldn't end up at the center frequency anyway.

For converting audio files I can recommend sox
  http://sox.sourceforge.net
which is quite common in Linux distributions, but as cross platform tool
also available for Windows and Mac OS X. It's also available as library.

What I wonder is how good BPSK1000 survives speech encoders, like MP3.
Is there any experience already?

73

Patrick

--
Engineers motto:   cheap, good, fast: choose any two
QTH: JN77rb                       http://sat.mur.at/