Op 24-10-2011 13:05, i8cvs schreef:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Deane"<summit...@live.com>
To:<amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2011 10:33 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] This Is a HOBBY people
As much as I enjoy the banter, animosity and sometimes really brilliant
posts, I want to remind everyone that this is  a HOBBY!

Amateur Radio.

Shut up and have fun, some of you take this WAY TO SERIOUSLY.

Kevin
KF7MYK
Hi Kevin, KF7MYK

The official Definitios given by IARU ( the International Amateur Radio
Union) for the Amateur Service and the Amateur-Satellite Service are the
following :

ARTICLE Nr1

3.34  Amateur Service:
           A radiocommunication service for the purpose of self-training ,
           intercommunication and technical investigations carried out by
           amateurs, that is,by duly authorized persons interested in radio
           technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary
           interest.

3.35 Amateur Satellite Service:
          A radiocommunication service using space stations on earth
          satellites for the same purposes as those of the amateur service.

As you can realize the Amateur Service and the Amateur Satellite
Service are not defined as an "HOBBY" but  as a "SERVICE" for
self-training , intercommunication and technical investigations
activity and this is why we receive the permission to use the radio
frequency spectrum at no cost because the technical knowledge
that one of us  get with the Amateur Service is a profit at zero cost
for the Community.

73" de

i8CVS Domenico

The problem with these definitions is that the ITU defines all radio users as services, even CB falls under land mobile services.
Guess CB is not a hobby too.

73 Andre PE1RDW