Well my point exactly. Somebody a while back jokingly put the concept out to
tape 2 woxoun ht's together, mount 2 antennas on some solar panels and throw
the thing out the window ...

I mean just think about it for a second: : take a 2 U cubesat frame, put the
guts of 2 HT's in there, together with a battery and some charging electronics,
mount antennas and of you go ?
Do we really _need_ remote command capability ? Or telemetry and all the
software ? Onboard scheduling ? Or would a simple homebrew-repeater-in-space do
? I think the only intelligence you really need is

in the battery charger. Ok, it might become unpredictable if and when the thing
is switched on, based on low battery levels .. so what ? If its there I work
it, otherwise I wait for the next pass. Just make sure
it is smart enough to bridge batteries with a short.

I mean the concepts of Fox & friends and great. But I think we are at the 'less
is more' point. I think many of us would prefer a simple-and-dirty fm repeating
sat which is actually flying, rather then all the great plans and concepts
which take years and many many dollars to complete. ARISSAT was great, that the
antenna was missing not our fault. Cant we put another ARISSAT in cubesat
format together rather quickly, instead of re-inventing the wheel over and over
again ? Its a bit like letting a kid starve to death because you don't have the
resources to cook a gourmet meal. Guess what, a simple ham-and-cheese sandwich
will do.

Andreas - VK4HHH