On 2/23/12 6:31 AM, David Palmer KB5WIA wrote:

> Question to the list:  does anyone have a G5500 azimuth rotator with a
> working motor available for parts?  Or any other ideas for
> replacement?

You might consider rewinding it yourself. I did that with one of mine
some years ago, and it worked well enough that I left it in place when
the replacement I'd ordered finally arrived.

I'm working on a variable speed drive for these rotors, and this
suggests that I should detect motor stalls. That really shouldn't be too
hard. I could do it either by noticing that the rotor is turning more
slowly than it should, or by monitoring the current and seeing that it's
higher than usual. Motors are usually pretty rugged so an instant
reaction probably isn't necessary. My drive should be more efficient
than the standard fixed-frequency 60 Hz capacitor-run drive so the
motors should run cooler anyway.

Phil