It's not mandatory, but it's good practice, especially on FM where things get
crowded and only one gets through. On transponders it is good to gauge your
signal strength (especially on fragile sats like AO7), and to be able to match
uplink and downlink for Doppler. However, with caveats and a sense of the
pitfalls, experienced ops can make use of half duplex. A single 817 and an
Arrow can make some neat QSOs on FO29!

73, Drew KO4MA
(AMSAT-NA VP Operations)

Sent from my iPhone