Gus,
These days is the hardware can all be made to chat with other bits of hardware.
Doesn't matter which IDE/mfgr that gets chosen for the product we're
talking about. Most these days can be made to do the same thing with
some code.

You bring about a good point. A contraption (az el rotator) can be
driven with a smart phone. Not sure the radios could be driven that
way. Not much of a hindrance, though.

The key is that the modules are off the shelf, cheep, supported and
can be for the most part purchased at Radio Shack/downloaded from the
internet. (shameless plug: they have microcontrollers in stock along
with a pretty good line electronics goodies.)

Norm n3ykf