Gus and all:
Had a bad experience with a stepper motor based 3 axis mill project.
That thing had a mind of it's own. Definitely needed the big red kill
switch every once in a while.

The choice of a position sensor is as much as what you can get locally
that meets the need as what will work.

Three turn pots are necessary unless we want to limit rotation to 360
degrees. Easy enough to in satpc32.
 Also, not all pots rotate 360. Some only 320, some less. The more
expensive pots have much greater possible feature set. The Arduino
does not care what we use..
What sort of position encoders are available in your local surplus
store? How about available as salvage from other gear??

Am going to Peru towards the end of April. What's available here and
what's available there are two different things.
Last time I visited, a few OT's and I had a conversation regarding
exactly what we have been discussing, namely an inexpensive full
featured satellite station using  mostly homebrew for super cheep.

Norm