To: <bstguitar...@gmail.com>
Cc: "Amsat BB" <AMSAT-BB@amsat.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2013 12:12 AM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: CASSIOPE's Foldable Antennas

On 9/28/13, Bryce Salmi <bstguitar...@gmail.com> wrote:
I was watching the Canadian Space Agencies BROLL video of the CASSIOPE
satellite due to launch in a few days and noticed a neat antenna. The video link below starts at the appropriate point in the video (feel free to watch
the whole video too). For what looks like it is essentially steel tape
measure metal... that's quite an intense antenna and deployment! I'm used
to seeing these on cubesats and other small satellites but this is very
neat to see too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WGD4cWnpcto#t=245

It looks like it's the descendant of what was used on Canada's first
satellite, Alouette-1:

http://www.spacenet.on.ca/data/pages/canada-in-space/alouette.html
http://www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/satellites/alouette.asp

Many years ago, there was a documentary about the early days of
Canada's satellite program and I remember this was mentioned.
Unfortunately, I don't remember what the name was.

73s

Bernhard VA6BMJ @ DO33FL