I am prepared to consider that this is an anomaly. Have a look here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/n3ykf/11312549334/
 and feel free to browse the three pictures of the antenna.
Told the people at M squared and got nowhere. This is definitely an
engineering problem.
The issue with the front driven element is that it, too is cracking and it
too will fail. Probably sooner than later.