Phil,
You're missing the point. Do I personally think Fox-1 is pushing the
bleeding edge of technology? No. Buts it's a great step to building a good
foundation. I think your frustration with the lack of digital birds is
overcoming an understanding of where AMSAT currently is and where it's
going. No one disagrees with you on wanting more advanced and possibly
digital modes. I for one am yearning for digital birds.

I got my ticket in high school in 2004. I didn't really use satellites
until a few years later so I missed out on ao40 and others. My
understanding now of amsats history may be skewed but it's the best I can
summarize.

After ao40 it appears to me many of the original players were getting too
old to keep volunteering and possibly got let down by the events of ao40.
Understandably, some chose to stop. From what I can tell reading through
email archives, eagle caused some problems and some left then too. Past is
past, I'll highlight it. Throw ITAR into the mix and now we are here at
Fox, AMSATS first series of satellites in decades.

AO51 seemed to be a collaboration of AMSAT and space quest, and suitsat and
arissat were fun and neat projects. fox is amsats chance to get a base of
solid engineering to build upon. The main payload is analog. There are
experimental PCB slots. fox-2 will have even more space. I think digital
modes will find their way on there eventually when AMSAT is ready.

Very launch of a fox-1 satellite is building flight heritage on the
designs. I work in the spacecraft and launch industry, every rocket that
flies and spacecraft that safely returns to earth is heritage on our
designs. It's worth it's weight in gold so to speak.

AMSAT has enough volunteers with the right skills to build fox 1
satellites. I personally think all of us, including me, have some to learn
before we attempt crazy ideas. Heck, fox-1 is brilliant in that it allows
AMSAT to fulfill a baseline analog fm and transponder need in the cubesat
form factor while allowing extra space for experiments whether they are
gyros or digital modes. These experiments can succeed or fail and not harm
the base satellite of done right. The only crappy part about a 1U cubesat
is it's super tiny power budget. fox-2 will be the first really power
capable satellite and I'm excited as hell for it.

I wrote this on my iPhone while riding into work. Sorry for any misspelling
:)

Bryce