On 07/22/2014 01:18 PM, Rich/wa4bue wrote:
So there is a need to plan ahead for more accessible birds with more Linear
transponders and other features.  How do we get there?
We need wideband software receivers that can look at the entire passband, detect individual signals and determine type, and translate them into the downlink passband based upon an operational ruleset that is policy driven and easily changed. Allow SSB, FM and Phil's DV at the same time if that is what we want. Or have FM only on Friday nights to encourage newcomers. Or pass SSB but simultaneously convert to FM on another part of the passband so the FM only guys can hear the action. Or whatever big imaginations and good drugs can dream up.

And since HEO is apparently out of the question, we need meshed satellite groups so that what you uplink on one bird can be heard on the downlink of all of the birds in the mesh. So we can extend operating times beyond a handful of minutes.

--
Gus 8P6SM
The Easternmost Isle