On 2/25/99 7:01 PM Jeremy Wadsack ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

>> I have 5 web sites on my server so W3SVC%J should be used I guess instead
>> of %j.
>
>The only reason to use W3SVC%j would be if the W3SVC part of the log file
>entry
>in someway specified the format. (Like Jason's solution for Chris's
>multi-line
>log entries.) Since the format is entirely based on comma-separated
>values, you
>can just use %j for the whole field.

This isn't quite true. There are various other services that can log to
the same log file. If you have an FTP server configured it will also log
to this same log file and it will have something other than W3SVC (FTPSVC
I think). The point of the W3SVC%j is to catch only the web server log
entries but to ignore the trailing digit (described elsewhere).

Jason

[EMAIL PROTECTED]