On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Jason Linhart wrote:

> This isn't quite true. There are various other services that can log to
> the same log file. If you have an FTP server configured it will also log
> to this same log file and it will have something other than W3SVC (FTPSVC
> I think). The point of the W3SVC%j is to catch only the web server log
> entries but to ignore the trailing digit (described elsewhere).

There's one other reason for it as well. It acts as a reality check on the
whole line, to check that there is the text "W3SVC" in the right place.
Otherwise you might find that any line with the right number of commas in got
counted, even if it was corrupt in some way.

--
Stephen Turner    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/
  Statistical Laboratory, 16 Mill Lane, Cambridge CB2 1SB, England