On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Jim Sander wrote:

>    Actually, this is something I have thought about a lot recently- it
> seems to me that it would be a nice feature to only include the top-level
> domain, and then one more part...
>
>   For example, if you resolve a name to "statlab.cam.ac.uk" simply list it
> as "ac.uk" - or maybe "cam.ac.uk" to cover things like ".co.uk" Maybe a
> runtime thing, like "SIGDOMPARTS 3" which would give you three "dots
> worth" of domain information from the top level. (cam.ac.uk in this case)

SUBDOMAIN *.* (or *.*.*) does exactly this.

As Jeremy Wadsack pointed out:
> most non-government U.S. sites have one fewer "dot worth" of info than
> the rest of the world.

So one could do SUBDOMAIN *.com, *.*.uk etc. Actually it's not even as
simple as Jeremy implies. For example, Germany takes the US approach --
so www.uni-heidelberg.de but www.cam.ac.uk.

>   In fact, one other thing that I've thought about- how about when you do
> a lookup, giving the option to cache the name based on just the class-C
> part of the address and using it for future lookups...
>
>    For example, you resolve 207.239.68.10 to "trelane.addy.com". You cache
> this name, and when you get a request from 207.239.68.9 you determine
> that 207.239.68.* is "addy.com" and have done with it.
>
>    Of course this system isn't perfect since not all domains are broken up
> along class C network boundaries

I think Jeremy's answered this satisfactorily. I think you underestimate the
level of assumption and approximation required (although I don't have any hard
figures).

I would make one more comment on this thread. I have a strong personal
preference for not using HOSTALIAS except when it is genuinely an alias for
the same host, because the "number of hosts" count goes wrong. SUBDOMAIN is,
in my opinion, almost always the right way to accomplish these sort of things.
Of course your opinion may differ from mine.

--
Stephen Turner    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/
  Statistical Laboratory, 16 Mill Lane, Cambridge CB2 1SB, England