On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Jim Sander wrote:

>    Think of the domain report as "top-level domain" and it becomes clear.
> I guess it is a little confusing, although I never thought about it
> before now...

I guess I'm getting there. By default, the Domain Report lists TLDs, and the
Host Report lists everything. My question was, why do people want to add
aol.com to the Host Report not the Domain Report?

Well, it's the Host Report where you can see the AOL stuff to begin with.
And people think of the Domain Report as a country report, so there is no
conceptual leap from domain = country to subdomain. Perhaps most importantly,
if take out the "junk" from the Host Report, you go from proxy091424.aol.com
to just aol.com, which is what you want. Of course this last point relies
on each organisation you care about just having one further level to its
hierarchy, which as I was arguing yesterday is not at all guaranteed.

--
Stephen Turner    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/
  Statistical Laboratory, 16 Mill Lane, Cambridge CB2 1SB, England