On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Adam Trachtenberg wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Stephen Turner wrote:
>
> > 1Cust129.tnt1.charleston.sc.da.uu.net.  What would you shorten that to?
>
> At a minimum, I'd shorten it to charleston.sc.da.uu.net; at a maximum,
> uu.net. I think how far someone would want to shorten a long hostname
> depends upon the number of page views one gets.

Right. My point is that there is no way for analog to guess how far you want
a name to be shortened. It's not just a matter of including the last 2 or 3
name-parts; nor is a matter of just chopping off the leftmost part.

> Ideally, there'd be some kind of regular expression backreference
> abilities to be used in defining the maps. So, I'd shorten
> *.*.(*).(??).da.uu.net to $1.$2.da.uu.net. (Assume . is a literal dot, not
> any character.)

But then you're back to defining a case for each domain, and you're no better
off than with the current SUBDOMAIN (indeed, SUBDOMAIN *.*.da.uu.net will
accomplish exactly your example).

--
Stephen Turner    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/
  Statistical Laboratory, 16 Mill Lane, Cambridge CB2 1SB, England