From: Stephen Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 1999 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: [analog-help] Limit directories with anlgform.pl

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Susan Alderman wrote:

> Hi -
>
> We have a web layout that has a branch point close to the root, with
> different directories off those branches.  Here are some examples:
>
> /Departments/French
> /Departments/German_Studies
> /Departments/Egyptology
> /Students/Chinese_Students_Association
> /Students/Brown_Men_Rugby
>
> et cetera.  What I'd like to be able to do is to limit what people can
> run statistics for using anlgform.pl.  You could run statistics for
> /Departments/French* or /Students/Brown_Men_Rugby*, but NOT
> /Departments/* or /Students/*  (Basically, I'd like to throttle things
> down a bit, so it's harder to overload the server.)

No, you can't do that. You can't really stop people processing anything that
they can read at all. In any case, it doesn't reduce the load on the server
all that much, in terms of CPU time. The whole logfile still has to be read
and parsed. (You do save on RAM though).

--
Stephen Turner    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/
  Statistical Laboratory, 16 Mill Lane, Cambridge CB2 1SB, England