On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, tim wrote:

> hallo ...
>
> Well, from what I have already seen in my short time on this list, the install
>problems come from
> people using Linux who may not be linux guru's.
>
> If a "make install" script does not fit into the analog concept, then there should
>be some type of
> guidance for users with less experience. Then ... they can become yet the wiser  :-)

I'm thinking of either providing a "make install" (even though it's not
really necessary) or at least making it print out a helpful message.

Aside: I've never been clear why people expect "make install" anyway on a
Linux system (I understand it on Unix). On my Debian Linux system I have
never compiled anything myself. Everything I have ever wanted is provided as
a .deb, so I never have type "make" at all. Isn't the same true of other
Linux distributions? Why not just use the .rpm? Can someone enlighten me?

> Well ... then, I would like to make some type of page, some type of How-TO based on
>my own
> experience setting up analog on Red Hat 5.2. Just say where I should upload/send my
>masterpiece.

That would be great, thank you. Send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
Stephen Turner    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/
  Statistical Laboratory, 16 Mill Lane, Cambridge CB2 1SB, England