"Jeremy Wadsack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Aengus ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
>
> > I think your best bet will be to grep the logs for matching
> > requests. Does anyone know how to create a regular expression
> > to pick out lines with a field that is between 2 numerical values?
>
> You have to know the numbers. To get a field that is between 200 and
> 500 (inclusive) bytes, use something like this:
>
>     [2345]00

That will only find request for 200, 300, 400 or 500 bytes, it won't find
a request for 345 bytes (as far as I know - I still don't do regular
expressions!). Carsten is looking for kbytes, but the principal is the
same.

I suppose [2-5][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9] find 200000 to 500000 inclusive,
but can you tell grep to only look at the nth field in a file?

Maybe you need perl (or even sed) to do this?

Aengus