Stephen Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Aengus wrote:
>
>> It used to be that the number of distinct hosts was only displayed if
>> the Host report was enabled. If I enable the User Report, shouldn't
>> the number of Distinct Users be included in the Summary? The
>> information is available (the User report tells me the number of
>> users not listed).
>
> Not avoiding the question intentionally. I guess my thinking is that
> every successful request has a host and a filename, but you might
> well have some requests with users/cookies and some without -- and if
> so, reporting "total number of users" would be misleading.

The General Summary uses the language "Distinct files requested" and
"Distinct Hosts served". I don't think that "Distinct Users served"
would be any more misleading than either of the others, given that
Distinct Hosts comes with all the caveats about proxy servers and
dynamic IP allocation, and the distinction between "files" and "pages"
that is  made elsewhere in Analog.

I agree that, in a situation where part of a site generates User
entries, and part of it doesn't, it might be misleading, but I imagine
that most sites that use cookies for this purpose would be interested in
this number, and will, in the vast majority of cases, generate an
immediate cookies, or only be interested in "registered" users.

Maybe you could consider making it an option entry in the General
Summary, off by default?

(Pity I didn't make this request last week!)

Aengus