On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 12:27:12 -0700, Jeremy Wadsack wrote:
>One point that seems to be a common misconception: formatting include
>both style and layout. XHTML provides a medium for layout and content.
>CSS only for style. So merely converting to XHTML and CSS provides
>only for the separation of style. Which is already available.

Formatting = style+layout - agree.
XHTML is also content - yes, potentially. As is CSS2. For my current intents though,
XHTML remains a reformulation of HTML 4.01. I did start out using just HTML4.01,
but why not go all the way?

>> the user is almost 100% in control of how the report is presented. Be it
>> in a speaking browser, in black&white or whatever. Maybe this could be
>> achieved with HTML2.0 too, I can't say.
>
>Who is the "user" you are talking about here? The person reading the
>page? How is this user in control when the stylesheet is specified by
>the web site?

How about a hosting provider providing automatic log-analysis for
their customers?
User1 = the main sysadmin. Builds analog, maybe modifies analog.css
User2 = a 2nd sysadmin/webmaster. Adds perhaps generalised provider-specific
        formatting.
User3 = the customer - if analog adds a <link href="<cust>.css",
        just leave the contents of cust.css to the customer.

But generally "user" = "user of analog" in order to provide reports
for others.

>If you meant the person who makes the stylesheets, then I
>see very little difference (perhaps just the graphs which you can
>overcome by changing the name of the image file -- if you really don't
>want to or can't re-run Analog).

Like user3 - always include a user-specific stylesheet. If it is not
found, never mind.
I use analog for a few different kinds of logs - some with different
formatting. Perhaps I'm the one being pedantic now, but when I specify
the analysis config in analog.cfg (+others via CONFIGFILE), I would
prefer being able to specify formatting in a similar way.
(and yes, I know about the STYLESHEET config option.)

/Per

regards,
Per Jessen, Zurich
http://www.enidan.com - home of the J1 serial console.