Per Jessen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]; Tuesday, January 07, 2003 3:33 PM):

> On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 20:43:05 +0000 (GMT), Stephen Turner wrote:
>>Seconded. What we really need is a customizable output format. Last time I
>>tried to add a new output format it was really horrific, and it's not
>>something I want to repeat in a hurry. It really needs a whole new system so
>>that other people can write output formats for XHTML, or PDF, or Bob's word
>>processor format, without editing the source code. Maybe some sort of
>>templates, or something like the language files, or whatever. But this
>>appears to be very difficult in practice -- even the existing formats are
>>sufficiently different that they would all need special cases.

> I would propose producing XML-only output, for subsequent processing using
> XSLT to produce output.
> I did look at this for a while, but decided such a change was more than
> I really wanted to take on. Initially I was more concerned with keeping
> changes to a minimum - whereas producing XML-output only, to be followed
> by XSLT and all that that brings along, was more of a rewrite than a
> mere patch.

> Without(!) having looked at this in any detail, might going for XHTML be a
> minor step on the way ?

XML is only a data language. It still requires a DTD that includes all
the necessary details. XHTML in much richer because it includes all
the layout data. I don't think generating XHTML is really a step
towards XML. Although it may simplfy the HTML output (although I doubt
by much), it is not the same elements that would be used in XML.

OTOH, it would give you a really good understanding of the output code
in Analog, if you chose to take on the bigger task later.

--

Jeremy Wadsack
Wadsack-Allen Digital Group