hi jeremy,
first i have to say sorry: i forgot to put a subject into the mail!

> The data in cache files is essentially a memory dump. So even if you
> split the data into separate cache files, you would still have to have
> enough memory to hold all the files.

okay, i understand. it was just an idea...

> If HOSTLOWMEM 3 did not help reduce memory usage, look at your reports
> (for a day, for example) and see if some other unit has a lot of
> unique entries. This is usually the case for Referrers, but can also
> happen for the Request/File data when you have unique session id's in
> the query string. Using Aliases to remove this data can greatly
> improve storage and memory requirements without any loss of
> information.

here is my list of my units:
GENERAL ON
MONTHLY ON
MONTHCOLS RrPp
WEEKLY OFF
FULLDAILY OFF
DAILY ON
DAYCOLS RrPp
FULLHOURLY OFF
HOURLY ON
HOURCOLS RrPp
QUARTER OFF
FIVE OFF
HOST ON
HOSTCOLS RrPp
HOSTFLOOR 1:r
ORGANISATION ON
ORGCOLS RrPp
ORGFLOOR 1:r
DOMAIN ON
DOMCOLS RrPp
DOMSORTBY REQUESTS
DOMFLOOR 1:r
SUBDOMFLOOR 1:r
SUBDOMSORTBY REQUESTS
REQUEST OFF
DIRECTORY ON
DIRCOLS Rrb
FILETYPE ON
TYPECOLS Rrb
SIZE OFF
PROCTIME OFF
REDIR OFF
FAILURE ON
FAILCOLS Rr
REFERER OFF
REFSITE OFF
SEARCHQUERY OFF
SEARCHWORD OFF
REDIRREF OFF
FAILREF OFF
FULLBROWSER OFF
BROWSER ON
BROWFLOOR 1:r
BROWCOLS Rr
BROWSORTBY REQUESTS
SUBBROWSORTBY REQUESTS
SUBBROWFLOOR 1:r
OSREP OFF
VHOST OFF
USER OFF
FAILUSER OFF
STATUS OFF

I think i will test it with HOST OFF, DOMAIN OFF,  FILETYPE OFF; any other advices?

my question now is:*LOWMEM doesn't affect something on the cache file, correct? it's
useful for the reports which are created, but not for the (already existing) cache
file! correct?

> Should all of this fail, you may have to limit yourself to only
> producing reports for a set period of time -- say at most one month.
>
> Jeremy Wadsack
> Wadsack-Allen Digital Group

thanks again
Andreas Leppert