Andreas Leppert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Tuesday, March 16, 2004 2:21 PM):

>> If HOSTLOWMEM 3 did not help reduce memory usage, look at your reports
>> (for a day, for example) and see if some other unit has a lot of
>> unique entries. This is usually the case for Referrers, but can also
>> happen for the Request/File data when you have unique session id's in
>> the query string. Using Aliases to remove this data can greatly
>> improve storage and memory requirements without any loss of
>> information.
>>
> here is my list of my units:
> GENERAL ON
> MONTHLY ON
> MONTHCOLS RrPp
> WEEKLY OFF

No, those are reports. Analog uses Hosts, Files, Referrers, Browsers,
Users, and Virtual Hosts as the basic data types for building all
those reports. These are the kinds of things you need to check for.
Each of these has a root report (e.g. HOST report shows every Host
item).

> I think i will test it with HOST OFF, DOMAIN OFF,  FILETYPE OFF; any
> other advices?

Turning off reports makes little difference in memory requirements.
You need to use the *LOWMEM commands to do that.

> my question now is:*LOWMEM doesn't affect something on the cache
> file, correct? it's useful for the reports which are created, but
> not for the (already existing) cache file! correct?

Yes. If you use level 3 when building cache files some information
will not be saved. You can also use it to adjust the memory
requirements when loading and processing existing cache files.

--

Jeremy Wadsack
Wadsack-Allen Digital Group