On Monday, December 20, 2004 6:08 PM [GMT],
Brian V Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
> \"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined
>
> Our Kerberos authentication system, when it sees an authenticated user
> accessing a protected area, places the user's full principle (i.e.
> their full name) into the auth_user field within Apache. Thus, for me,
> it places "Brian V. Hughes" into the %u field for that log file line.
>
> Needless to say, this causes Analog to choke. What I'm hoping is
> there's a straightforward way for me to modify my Apache LogFormat, or
> modify the way Analog parses that format, to include lines containing
> authenticated user names with spaces.
>
> I tried enclosing the name in quotes (and square braces), and I tried
> separating the %u field with tabs, but none of that worked. Is there
> something simple I've missed? Anyone else out there run into a problem
> like this, before?

What happens when you try to wrap the username in quotes? (change %u to
\"%u\")

You're probably getting tripped up because you're trying to use a space
as the separator between %u and %t. But if the Time is wrapped in square
brackets, then you can cheat a little bit by using the [ as the
separator:

LOGFORMAT (%S %j %u[%d/%M/%Y:h:%n:%j] etc, etc)

In this case, Analog will treat everything between the 2nd space and the
[ as the username. Note that this will mean that the Username ends in a
space, which might cause some problems with USERINCLUDES and
USEREXCLUDES.

Aengus