Natalia Lis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks a lot, this is very useful,
>
> Our shared graphs are hosted on our sites. So just to make sure: if
> (putting aside the cache and other issues) 1000 different people/hosts
> view our graph on page XYZ (which is not our website), analog will
> show that we've got at least 1000 requests from 1000 individual hosts
> referred to us by the site "XYZ"?

Sort of.

If you have 5 different "3rd party" servers displaying your graphs (for
example), you can get a report saying that 40% of the requests were referred
from site 1, 25% from site 2, 20% from site 3, etc. But you can't get a report
saying that 1000 individual hosts were referred from site 1, 700 from Site 2,
etc. This is in part because any given user could have visited site 1, 2 and 3,
and so they could be counted multiple times, whereas any given request can only
occur once - so requests and "individual hosts" are different types of data, so
they can't be reported on in exactly the same way.

(Note also that the Referrer field is optional - not all web servers log it.
And not all web browsers report it, and it's something that can only be
measured with the cooperation of the user).

> Regarding cache, I have another question. Is it possible to cache a
> page and only refresh some of its items (like graphs) without making a
> new request for page? The reason I ask is because we have several
> sites and for one of them, analog shows that the number of "requests
> for pages" per week is three times smaller than the number of
> "individual hosts served" per week. In other words, an individual host
> requests less than one page. And this is precisely the site that does
> not host any graphs – even the graphs which are displayed there come
> from our other websites. Thus, as far as I know no files from this
> website are displayed elsewhere and it would seem to me that in order
> to make any requests from the site, one would have to actually visit
> it and request at least one page. I know that one possible problem may
> be the definition of a "page", but analog shows that all major files
> on the site are .html

Hmmm. You've already covered the obvious explanation. But I wouldn't look at
caching for the explanation here. I presume you have the Host report on (I
think the Individual Hosts Served figure is only calculated if you're
generating the Host Report). I'd change the Columns displayed for that report
to show both Requests and Page requests:

HOSTCOLS RPb
HOSTSORTBY Requests

This will give you an indication of who is making Requests, but not making page
requests.

Next, I'd have a look at the Status Report, and see if you're getting an
unusual number of Redirects - these probably count as requests, rather than
Page Requests.

Lastly, I'd have a look at the File Type report. You said that "analog shows
that all major files on the site are .html" but you didn't say how you reached
that conclusion. If you looked at the Request Report, and saw that it only
lists .html requests, your configuration might have a "REQINCLUDE PAGES"
command that excludes any non-Page requests from the report. The File Type
Report (FILETYPE ON) will give you more detailed information about the type of
requests being made against the server. (You can also change the File Type
report to show Requests and Page Requests with TYPECOLS RPb)

The bottom line is that a Host gets into your log file, and therefor gets
counted, when it makes a Request. The discrepancy that you're seeing is because
not all Requests are Page Requests, so if you're seeing lots of Requests that
aren't Page Requests, then your assumption about .html files must be incorrect.
Once you find out what non-Page requests are causing this discrepancy, you can
look at the referrers for those particular requests to see if the problem might
be down to cached .html files, or, more likely, due to some dynamic content not
being counted as a Page Request.

Sorry I can't give a cut and dried answer here - this is exactly the sort of
problem that Analog is really good at solving, once you know the right
questions to ask of your log files.

Hope that helps,

Aengus