At 6:55 PM -0500 12/1/08, Leung, Michael wrote:
> >From what I could tell, either of Domain Report or Organization Report
>still is not giving out meaningful results.
>

>Domain Report
>-------------
>This report lists the countries of the computers which requested files.
>
>Listing domains, sorted by the amount of traffic.
>
>  reqs: %bytes: domain
>------: ------: ------
>806393:   100%: [unresolved numerical addresses]

Looks exactly correct to me.  If you want the domain names, then you need to
process your logfile to convert the IP addresses to Domain Names.  You can do
this with an external program before running Analog on the files (I use a
script called "dnstrans").  Or you can tell Analog to do this using the DNS
option in the Analog config files (see http://www.analog.cx/docs/dns.html ).

>Organization Report
>-------------------
>This report lists the organizations of the computers which requested
>files.
>
>Listing the top 20 organizations by the number of requests, sorted by
>the
>  number of requests.
>
>  reqs: %bytes: organization
>------: ------: ------------
> 57717:  6.97%: 71
> 46858:  6.41%: 76
> 46018:  4.81%: 205.178

Again - this looks quite normal for a default configuration analyzing a log
file with no domain names, just IP addresses.  Activate DNS processing and this
will change (although DNS processing slows things down quite a bit).

>So, how do we resolve the issue for both Domain and Organization
>Reports?

Perform DNS processing on your log files - either letting Analog do it with its
slower code, or using a different tool to pre-process the logfile before
triggering Analog (see http://www.analog.cx/helpers/#dns )

>Based on my LOGFORMAT, my Referrer field shouldn't be empty.  Right?

I'm not sure on this, but you could always look at some lines in the logfile
and see if the referrer is there or not. :)

-Spode

--
Edward F Spodick, Information Technology Manager
Hong Kong University of Science & Technology Library