Two things:

   - Kaldari, I think I'm failing to communicate the propensity issue I was
   referring to earlier.  Suffice it to say that we still have a propensity
   problem when we only look at those users who choose to set their gender
   preference.  In fact, this was the scenario I had in mind when I brought up
   the problem.
   - J-Mo, I like the suggestion of micro-surveys.  I made it to Kaldari
   earlier on the trello card.  I agree that this might be
   confusing/concerning to our users.  I wonder if we might explore ways to
   improve such a survey.  For example, we might include the gender question
   in the signup form for a small percentage of newly registered users.  I'm
   used to (optionally) setting my gender at signup so that the UI will use
   the right pronouns.

-Aaron