From: android-beginners@googlegroups.com
[mailto:android-beginn...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Teena
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2009 1:27 PM
To: android-beginners@googlegroups.com
Subject: [android-beginners] Re: notification

-----Original Message-----
From: android-beginners@googlegroups.com
[mailto:android-beginn...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Raymond Rodgers
Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2009 11:45 AM
To: android-beginners@googlegroups.com

Teena wrote:
> Thanks for the response, Cyril.  Is this how I would do it?  I'm still
> not seeing any text feedback on the screen when I click the button.

Log will put strings into a log that's viewable in debug mode in Eclipse
with the Logcat view added to the overall list of views. That's very useful
for debugging purposes [obviously] without displaying anything to the app's
user. However, if you want to display something on screen, you can use the
Toast class
http://code.google.com/android/reference/android/widget/Toast.html to
display a message on screen briefly. The message will fade automatically
after a short amount of time, and could be useful for what you're trying to
accomplish.

Raymond

Thanks Raymond, I really appreciate the help.  One more question though, I'm
trying to use the toast widget properly, but cannot figure out the 'context'
that I need to put in as a parameter.  Updated code below:

package test.app;

import android.app.Activity;
import android.os.Bundle;
import android.view.View;
import android.view.View.OnClickListener;
import android.widget.Button;
import android.widget.Toast;

public class test_app extends Activity {
    @Override
        super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
        setContentView(R.layout.main);
        /* Find the button from our XML-layout. */
        Button b = (Button)this.findViewById(R.id.btn_open_search);
        b.setOnClickListener(new OnClickListener() {
                public void onClick(View agr0) {
                        // Place code to handle button click here
                        Toast.makeText(test_app, "btn-click", 9);
                }
        });
    }
}

The error I'm getting is 'test_app' cannot be resolved, but test_app is my
activity as specified in the AndroidManifest.xml.  What am I doing wrong?